Monday 19 October 2009

I HATE MONDAYS: CBBC


The Half term holiday of a seven year old. Some children enjoy their week in their local park, laughing the days away. Some parents take their children to the cinema to watch the latest Disney flick. What did my mother do for me in the Half Term? Send me to my Grandmother’s. Where the sound of the Bill Gather Quartet & Everly Brothers stream through the passage ways, and where everything has Vaseline randomly splashed on it. Do not get me wrong though, I loved every moment of it. In the mornings, I would pull out my Playstation and spend hours on Tekken 3, stuffing my face with ready salted Walkers crisps and banana ice lollies. As entertaining as the morning was, it would never compare to when the clocks reached:
3:30
We had CITV and CBBC, notorious for entertaining me throughout my childhood. I could probably recite to you the entire Pokemon theme song backwards. I even know CITV’s competition number.
090 11 10 50 10
(Oh nine Oh Double one Ten Fifty...TEN)


There was however, a particular point in my childhood where CBBC completely disrespected my exisistance. It was a cold,winter half term. I was sitting on my bed, feasting on my banana ice lollies, where the television presenter began to talk about a competition.


The challenge was to draw a plant that resembled a cartoon character (shown on CBBC). The presenters promised that they would show each entry on the television. By the end of the week, the most interesting plant was to get a prize (which must have been some videos or something). I immediately grabbed my pencil case and paper scraps. I skilfully drew my plant which was based on The Mask (I was a BIG Jim Carrey fan back then). Three hours later, laid before me was a complete masterpiece, which probably looked something like this:




I showed my mum and begged her to send it off to the BBC. First Class. The next day, I sat in front of my Television set, waiting for my picture to appear. I saw nearly hundreds of badly drawn pictures given compliments from the presenters. 'I wonder what they are going to say about mines them' I thought to myself 'I guess they are saving the best till last'. They never showed my picture that day.



I showed my mum and begged her to send it off to the BBC. First Class. The next day, I sat in front of my Television set, waiting for my picture to appear. I saw practically hundreds of badly drawn pictures given compliments from the presenters. 'I wonder what they are going to say about mine then.' I thought to myself 'I guess they are saving the best ‘till last'. They never showed my picture that day.


The next day, I sat in front of my television with slight impatience. CBBC ran as normal. Straight after Hey Arthur, came the part where they show more badly drawn pictures (excluding mine of course). A hundred more pictures are shown, and mine was nowhere to be seen. Then the presenter said it:


' We appreciate you sending in your drawings guys. We are now down to our last picture. This one is based on The Mask. I have it right here in my pocket [taps pocket]. Speaking of The mask... take a look at this....' [Fade Out]


They then showed an episode of The Mask. By this time, I wasn't feeling to watch any more cartoons; I just wanted to see my image on the screen...
But they never showed it.
And that is why I will always hate them.
My children are going to be watching Nickelodeon.


As I grow up, I still wonder why they never showed my drawing.
.Is it because I is black?
I seriously had no clue.
And I’m sure I only folded the paper once to make it fit into the envelope... How did it get in your pocket?
CBBC doesn’t like me...
So I don't like them.
But it’s okay, they can keep their Blue Peter badges.
SmART was a joke...I was watching Art Attack.
...And who REALLY cared about Newsround?
You get props for Live & kicking but...
I preferred SMTV Live.



CBBC gets shown NO love From me.
ZoOm






1 comment: