Tuesday 15 September 2009

Far From Marvelous

This was written a while ago, but it is a brief introduction to what I want to show you all very soon.

Cartoons and children's television played a major part of my childhood, obviously. I remember watching the Disney channel early in the morning while clinging tight to my mickey mouse doll. The magic and wonders, the happiness and total innocence (supposedly) proved to have made a lasting impression on my life. But as I got older, Goofy was no longer satisfactory. Later on in the years I would go downstairs, early on a saturday morning with my bowl of cereal, to watch Fox Kids with my older brother. During those three hours, we would watch shows like X-Men, Spiderman, The incredible Hulk, Fantastic 4, and who can forget the Silver Surfer? Those were amazing shows. The leading characters were heroic, strong, captivating. Each still was intricately drawn with such detail to ensure my eyes where glued to the television screen at all times - oh, how I live my childhood.

Now that I have grown up (mind you, I am still trying to get out of my Marvel phase) it has been brought to my attention that Disney (the entertainer of my early years) has now bought the rights to Marvel Comics (The story tellers of my latter years) - Well I'll be...Mickey Mouse has just Pimped out Spiderman!

Marvel sold their company for $4 billion, which to some may seem reasonable, noting that Marvel comics is a $3 billion business, and the worth of the business could boost to $5 billion if given into the caring hands of Disney.

Do I find this upsetting? Of corse I do! Do not get me wrong, I love both businesses, but separately. Disney nurtured me as a toddler, and Marvel made me wonder while I was growing up, but seeing the two companies merge into one is borderline impurity. Fair enough, Marvel has the potential to become an even bigger business when in the hands of Disney, but I do not want to see 'Spiderman and Friends' with Goofy trying to web-sling in New York City, prancing around on rooftops like a complete idiot on the Disney channel, or seeing Xievier recruiting donald duck and his girlfriend as the new addition to the X-Men --impurity!

Some say however, that it wouldn't be like that. Disney, at the end of the day, are business people, and they would well know that creating a show called 'Bedtime Stories with Gambit' will do the business no good. If they are as clever as I assume, they would keep Disney-DIsney and Marvel-Marvel. If Disney chooses to keep everything the way it is supposed to then I would find no reason to complain, but if I ever turn on the Television to see Miley Cyrus breakdancing on stage with Wolverine, I am going to go postal. 



Post a comment...or better yet, join the argument on Facebook
Lets get Talking..
Stay Bless
ZoOm

No comments:

Post a Comment